The Honorable Mark Kennedy’s unmatched combination of global experiences in business - expanding Häagen Dazs globally, serving as Treasurer of Macy’s; poliitcs - U.S. Congressman, international trade advisor under both Presidents Bush and Obama and now leading George Washington University’s Graduate School of Political Management (GSPM) yields impactful 360° insights on collaberatve leadership - win-win public affairs, making democracy work, unifying a divided world and reigniting economic growth.
Kennedy believes collaborating is essential to success. While a Republican Congressman, he partnered with twenty Democrats to introduce and lead legislation; more than half of the Democrats in the U.S. House co-sponsored one of his bills. Kennedy earned bipartisan praise with CNN’s John King saying "Kennedy doesn`t ignore the elephant in the room; to the contrary, he looks it straight in the eye" and FOX News’ Fred Barnes calling Kennedy "bold and smart."
Whether seeking success in your personal life, business, politics or world affairs, Kennedy advocates following the same collaborative principles used to summit the tallest mountain peaks – what he calls Peak Leadership.
Business Leadership: Kennedy introduced the concept of "Shapeholders" to the field of business strategy - the political, regulatory, media, and activist actors that shape a firm's opportunities and risks. Kennedy teaches how to effectively engage shapeholders both at home and abroad to advance business strategies while benefiting society.
Political Leadership: Having beat the 1/100 odds by defeating an incumbent Congressman, Kennedy knows how to win political contests, but understands passing laws and successfully implementing them are also essential to making democracy work and advancing your cause.
Global Leadership: Kennedy’s global insights spring from decades of engagement with business, civic and political leaders in over 40 countries and teaching annually on four continents. Kennedy highlights the need to reinvigorate efforts at unifying an increasingly multipolar world and achieving a new global age of trade.
Kennedy is a frequent commentator in media including BBC, Bloomberg, CNN, Foreign Policy, FOX, MSNBC, NPR, Politico, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post.
Kennedy's 360° Insights fuse perspectives he has gained from an unique combination of leadership experiences:
- Academic Leadership – head of GSPM, the world's first and foremost school of applied politics and strategic communications located four blocks from the White House.
- Business Leadership – Senior Vice President and Treasurer of a Fortune 100 company (Macy’s); helped spread Häagen Dazs around the globe; global lead role with Accenture.
- Family Leadership - happily married for 34 years with four successful adult children.
- Political Leadership – United States Congressman from 2001 to 2007, and presidentially appointed trade advisor to both President Bush and President Obama.
- Non-Profit Leadership - Founder and Chairman of the Economic Club of Minnesota, the region's premier speaking platform.
- Global Leadership – Extensive engagement with international business leaders and government ministers in over 40 countries; teaches and speaks annually in Asia, Europe, Latin America and Greater Middle East / Africa; initiated a new unique Master's in Advocacy in a Global Environment as head of GSPM.
Kennedy has lectured or led research projects at the University of Pennsylvania / Wharton, Johns Hopkins, Notre Dame, NYU, Maryland, Minnesota, London Business School, HEC-Paris (Paris, Doha), Mannheim (Germany), Globis (Tokyo), Meiji (Tokyo), National University of Singapore, Tecnológico de Monterrey (Mexico) and Fundação Getulio Vargas (São Paulo).
When Mark and his wife Debbie are not traveling, they split their time between Washington, DC and Minnesota.